Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's a Miracle, It's a Miracle...






Ok, for all of you who have known me for sometime you will know that I have always hating running. I used to joke with Rhett that if I committed a crime and I needed to be punished, just sentence me to running and it would be a fair punishment. So, the miracle is that yesterday I ran my first half-marathon, all 13.1 miles. That is the farthest I have ever run, ever! My husband convinced me that I could do this. He helped me train and get ready and I am grateful for all his vast stores of running knowledge.

I ran the race in 2:03;25. My goal was 2 hours even but I struggled on miles 5-8 running directly into a headwind. This wind did push me all the way into the finish though. The race was here in Havasu and it was a great race- well organized, scenery was awesome and the temperature was great. The only negative was the wind (for half the race). So, if any of my friends want to run a great race it will be April 10th of next year and you are welcome to stay at my house.

Rhett ran the half-marathon in 1:25:41 and used it as a training run as he gets ready for the Boston Marathon in two weeks. Chase ran the 5k in about 26 minutes and had a great time. It was a fun day for all of us and I really must honestly say that it wasn't that bad and I did enjoy myself. My legs were ready. My severe allergies have been acting up all month so the respiratory system was a problem and hindered my speed a little bit, but overall I finished strong and felt great. My calves are a little tight today but I feel good. I can honestly say I never thought I would run this far. I used to joke that the only way I would go that far was driving my car - ha, ha. I guess the old adage of "Never say Never" is so true.

So, we'll see if any races are in my future but for now a miracle occured right here in Havasu yesterday.

No comments: